Use This Checklist to Find the Right Facility
• Is the facility Medicare-certified and/or Medicaid-certified?
• Are the home and its current administrator licensed?
• What type of education and training do staff members have?
• How many Registered Nurses (RNs) and Certified Nursing Assistants
(CNAs) are on staff?
• Are background checks conducted on all staff members?
• Is there a care plan developed for every resident?
• Are care plans reviewed and updated by providers and family members?
• Is the interaction between residents and staff members warm and
respectful? Are public areas and resident rooms clean and comfortable?
• Are there a variety of activities available for residents?
• What is the staff to patient ratio at night and on weekends?
• Do staff members respond to residents’ requests for assistance promptly?
• Are there enough staff members available to assist residents during meals? Does the food in the dining room look and
• Are there handrails in hallways and grab bars in bathrooms?
• Are exits clearly marked?
• Is the facility outfitted with smoke detectors and sprinklers?
Adapted from Medicare’s Nursing Home checklist. For more information, see www.medicare.gov.